We’ve heard it all before: There is not enough recycling, there’s too much waste and the temperatures seem to “break a new record” every day. Sometimes it seems like the problem is unstoppable!
There are plenty of small things we can do as Oregonians to make a big difference. Here at Heat Relief, we know we only have one Planet Earth and are committed to doing our part in making the world a greener place.
So, what can you do? Here are Heat Relief’s top ten acts of kindness you can do to improve our planet:
10 Acts of Kindness You Can Do to Improve Our Planet
- Carpool – Try carpooling with co-workers, friends and family to dinners, school and work. By carpooling, you save money on gas and you save the earth from increased greenhouse gas emissions. Plus, you might even make a new friend!
- Go Vegetarian for a Day – At Heat Relief, we love a good hamburger from Roake’s, but we also know that going meatless for a day every so often has a huge impact on the environment. According to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Cows release 150-250 pounds of methane gas per year! And, it takes 2,500 gallons of water to produce a single pound of beef. So, try to scale back on your meat or beef intake for a day every once in a while!
- Plant a Tree – There’s no denying that Oregon features some of the best natural scenery in the country. Why not add to it? By planting a tree in your backyard, not only does the air benefit, but it will beautify your yard and shade your home!
- Adjust Your Thermostat – By adjusting the temperature in your home just one degree, you can save up to 10% on your energy use over the year. You’re saving money and the planet! You can even purchase a WiFi programmable thermostat that will allow you to save the environment with just a few swipes on your phone!
- Check out the Farmers Market – Buying local products is kind to small farmers and the earth! Usually, items at farmer’s markets are grown sustainably and fewer resources and emissions are spent on transporting the produce. Not to mention August is one of the best Farmers Market months to stock up on yummy berries, tomatoes and more local produce.
- Unplug Electronics When Not in Use- Even when a device looks like it’s turned off, it can still be draining power. About a quarter of all residential energy consumption is used on devices in “sleep mode.” Electronics including your cable boxes, laptops, and chargers can be using almost as much power when they are off but plugged in as when you are actively using them. So, make sure to fully unplug and save money on your electricity bills and save the earth!
- Use a Reusable Water Bottle – According to the Water Project, Landfills already contains more than 2 million tons of plastic bottles and 1.5 million barrels of oil are used to produce water bottles. Those water bottles to take 1,000 years to biodegrade. That’s a long time! Invest in a fun, reusable water bottle and help make those numbers a little bit smaller.
- Use Reusable Shopping Bags – Plastic bags have a huge, destructive impact on our environment. They take years to biodegrade and make their way into the oceans, harming marine life and hurting our oceans. Stay away from single-use bags. Make the switch to reusable bags!
- Replace HVAC Filters Every Three Months – A dirty filter on your air conditioner or heater will make the system work harder and waste energy. Make sure to end this problem by calling us and booking maintenance repair!
- Spread the Word! – It’s great to be the change. By reusing, reducing, and recycling you’re making a huge impact. But, you can do more! By talking to your co-workers, neighbors and family, you can make an even bigger difference. Help keep Oregon beautiful!
Saving the environment is important to Heat Relief! If you want to start doing your part to improve our planet, let us help! Regular preventative maintenance helps HVAC units work smart, not harder. Give us a call at (503) 877-1713 or schedule an online appointment!
We’re proud to play our part in helping Portland become a greener place!