As the temperature starts to drop outside, you may be thinking about how you can best keep your Portland area home warm throughout the winter months. Your HVAC system works hard to keep your home comfortable, and if it isn’t correctly cared for, it can break down when you need it most. Here are five tips to help minimize the strain on your HVAC system during winter and keep your energy bills low this winter.
- Open and close doors carefully. Every time you open and close a door, cool air escapes, and warm air enters. This causes your HVAC system to work harder to maintain the desired temperature inside your home. To minimize the strain on your system, close doors gently and only open them when necessary.
- Minimize drafts from windows. Drafty windows are another common source of heat loss in homes. To help reduce drafts, seal any gaps around your windows with weatherstripping or caulking. You can also install storm windows over your existing windows for an extra layer of protection against the cold.
- Change your air filters regularly. Your air filters are essential in keeping your HVAC system running smoothly. Over time, air filters can become clogged with dust and debris, which makes them less effective at doing their job. To keep your HVAC system running efficiently, change your air filters every 1-3 months.
- Use a programmable thermostat. A programmable thermostat can help you save energy by automatically adjusting the temperature in your home based on your schedule. For example, if you’re typically away from home during the day, you can set the temperature lower while you’re gone and raise it again before you come home.
- Schedule routine maintenance appointments. The best way to keep your HVAC system running smoothly is to have it serviced by a professional regularly—typically once per year. During a routine maintenance appointment, a technician will clean and inspect your system to ensure it’s running properly and make any necessary repairs or adjustments.
These five tips can help minimize the strain on your HVAC system this winter and keep your energy bills low. If you are in the Portland, Oregon area and have any concerns about your HVAC system or would like to schedule a furnace tune-up, contact us today! Our team of experts would be happy to help ensure your HVAC system is ready for winter weather.